Saturday, September 8, 2012

Corn Soup


Both kids are sleeping.  There are piles and piles of laundry to fold and put away.  I'm gonna cook some corn soup and write a post.  This will make me happier and more relaxed than folding laundry.  Besides, the clothes are clean, aren't they?  That's half the battle.

So, let's talk corn soup.  This was once my most favorite thing to eat ever.  What's not to love?  Warm, creamy, and it's full of corn!  This is how I know Mr A must be my son.  He loves corn.  This kid can eat a whole ear of corn and would eat more if I let him.

I had 3 leftover ears of corn in the fridge.  Normally, I would use frozen cut corn, but fresh corn on the cob works too.  There's just an added step of cutting the kernels off, which went very quickly with just 3 ears to do.

I used imitation crab stick, which I believe is actually fish paste, though upon consulting Wikipedia, uh-oh!  It probably contains egg.  I didn't know that!  Fail on my part!  Mr A is allergic to egg.  Great, I just took something that he enjoys so much and turned it into something he cannot have.  Bad mama!

Oh, well.  It's still tasty and looks like I have to eat it all now.

One last tip...  Watch your soup pot carefully after adding in the milk.  Don't get caught with your hand in a bag of TJ cheese crunchies while your soup boils over.  Not that this happened.  Just sayin' - keep an eye on your soup, people.



Corn Soup

Ingredients:
2 c corn kernels
1 14.5 oz low sodium chicken broth
1 c milk
3 crab stick, diced
2 green onions, diced
2 T cornstarch
3 T water
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. In a soup pot, bring corn kernels and chicken broth to a boil.  Simmer for 5 minutes.
  2. Add milk and return to boil.  In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry.  Slowly pour in cornstarch slurry while stirring the soup.
  3. Add diced crab stick and diced green onions and cook for another 2 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Remove from heat and serve.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment