Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Beef Stew

Man, I'm not doing so good here. Starting a food blog sounded fun (and it is!) but now that school is in full swing, this food project is taking the back burner.

I mean, here's a post I wrote 2 weeks ago and there is no evidence of it left in my fridge, which means I should have posted this a long time ago. But I didn't. And the pictures I took - I have no idea where they are.  Oh well. I'm not going to get too caught up in this. I'm going try to post here and there. I've got The Lean Green Bean's Foodie Penpals coming up too. Maybe that will be just what I need to get going again.

In the meantime, one pot wonders. I need more in my life.

Beef stew is a cook it and forget it. Throwing it in the crockpot works too. It makes a bunch so there are leftovers. Growing up, we always ate it over rice. A great comforting meal with meat, veggies, and a grain.

Beef Stew

Ingredients:
3 T vegetable oil
1 lb chuck roast
1/2 yellow onion
4 stalks celery
1/2 lb baby carrots
1 c grape tomatoes
1 large potato (waxy)
1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
14.5 oz can low sodium beef broth
1/4 t salt
1/8 t black pepper
1/4 t garlic, crushed
3 T Worcheshire Sauce

Directions:
  1. Chop chuck roast and vegetables into similar size cubes.
  2. In a large soup pot or dutch oven, heat vegetable oil. Sauté onions over medium high heat until edges are slightly browned.
  3. Move onions towards outside edges of the pot. Add cubed chuck roast in the center if the pot. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Cook until meat is browned.
  4. Add grape tomatoes to the pot and cook 2-3 minutes, or until soft and can be smashed.
  5. Stir in beef broth, Worcheshire, and crushed garlic, then bring to boil. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
  6. Add remaining vegetables and bring to boil. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.
  7. Serve over rice.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment