Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fruit Salad



Husband had a work BBQ today. Originally, I thought about bringing pasta salad, but then I thought I'd bring something sweet. An excuse to bake cookies! But then that was too much work. In the end, I decided on fruit salad.

There's so much great fruit out now. I bought a mini watermelon, cantaloupe, kiwi, grapes, strawberries, apples, pears, and nectarines. I didn't end up using all of the fruits. The nectarines and pears needed a few days so they wouldn't be so crunchy and I was worried the strawberries would get mushy, so those got the axe.

I enlisted my husband to help with chopping. I tasked him with the watermelon first. We were both very surprised that it was yellow inside! I've seen it at the grocery store many times and have eaten it only once before - a very long time ago, in Hong Kong, visiting my grandparents.  Psychologically, this is very odd thing for me - knowing it's watermelon and that's what it tastes like but because it's not the typical red flavor, all I can think of is lemon flavor.

Fruit salad is super easy and yummy! Here are a few tips. Use whatever kind of fruit you like. A variety of colors look best. When using fruits that brown, like apples, make sure you toss them with some lemon juice before putting them in the mix. Last, make all pieces bite size.

Fruit Salad

Ingredients:
1 mini watermelon
1 small cantaloupe
2 Fuji Apples
1/2 lemon, juiced
4 kiwis, peeled
1 bunch red grapes

Directions:
  1. Cut apples and toss in lemon juice.
  2. Wash grapes and add to mix.
  3. Cut watermelon, cantaloupe, and kiwis. Add and toss well.
  4. Serve chilled.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment