Friday, August 3, 2012

Pork Chops & Cauliflower Puree

Cauliflower is comfort food to me.  Mostly, I think of one of my childhood favorite dishes that my parents used to make.  Well, actually, they still make it, but now it's usually for my son.  It's just cauliflower with ground pork and cream of mushroom.  Think green bean casserole, but with cauliflower instead.  That'll be another post for another day.

Back to today.  Today, we're getting a little fancy with cauliflower, which seems a little silly because all we're going to do is blend it up.  I give you, pork chops and cauliflower puree.

Pork chops - any cut you like.  I tend to like boneless center cut, and not too thick.  I have a problem with large chunks of meat.  I'm sure we'll discuss this further down the line, but big chunks of meat intimidate me, which is why I do not cook steak, nor do I typically eat it but I do love pork.

Back in the day that I had cable and watched nothing but Food Network, I saw Rachael Ray pan fry pork chops with salt and pepper... I haven't looked back.  Talk about easy!







Now the cauliflower puree, that's another recipe from my MIL.  She's a low carb eater and suggested this instead of mashed potatoes.  I was a little wary at first, but it's yummy!  Can't go wrong with cream cheese and butter.

Confession: I don't make cauliflower puree very often.  In fact, I think this might be the third time that I've made it.  Not because it's not tasty...  I blame the food processor because it's kind of a pain to wash.  Well, not really.  Maybe it's because I cut myself on the blade before so I've been traumatized by that.  I don't know.  My other excuse is that Mr. A does not like the noise that the food processor makes.  (Today, Mr. A is at his grandparents' house, so it's just me and Miss J, who does not mind loud noises.)

Pork Chops

Ingredients:
Pork chops
salt
black pepper
garlic powder
olive oil

Directions:
  1. Heat non-stick skillet on medium-high.
  2. Pat dry pork chops.  Sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder on one side.
  3. When skillet is hot, pour in 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Place pork chop seasoned side down.  Sprinkle other side with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
  4. For thin cut pork chops, cook for about 2 minutes on each side, then remove from pan and set on a plate to rest.

Cauliflower Puree

Ingredients:
1 head cauliflower
1 oz cream cheese
1 T butter
1/4 c milk
1/4 t garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Boil or steam cauliflower until very tender and it falls apart.
  2. Drain water and place cauliflower in food processor.  Add in 1 oz. cream cheese, 1 T butter, and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder.  Pulse until cauliflower is broken up.  You may need to push it down a bit.
  3. Gradually add milk and blend until desired consistency (like mashed potatoes).
  4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment