Sunday, January 27, 2013

Crockpot Butter Chicken


I never had Indian food until grad school. What a loss of time! We now live just blocks from many Indian restaurants and grocery stores. I wouldn't say we're frequent eaters, but we do enjoy Indian food at least every other month. Samosas, chicken tikka masala, naan, fish pakora, dosas, and palak paneer are some of my favorites. We tried dosas once and those were pretty yummy too.

Anyway, I recently came across a couple crockpot butter chicken recipes. I had most of the ingredients... Why not give it a try?  So I did.

The results? Not very pretty but quite yummy! There was a bit of a burnt mess at the bottom of my crockpot. I think it's where the tomato paste met the onions. I think next time, I might just do this on the stovetop. I'll also add the yogurt at the end. I didn't this time because I didn't have yogurt on hand. I'm glad I didn't add any cayenne like the Food.com recipe said.  This recipe was already so full of spices, extra heat would have gone along fine but I think it would have burned a hole in my stomach too.

I added a little water to sauce it up and served it on rice with peas and some wilted spinach.  A perfect winter (or maybe any day) meal!


Crockpot Butter Chicken

(adapted from Food.com and Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
4 large skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 t curry powder
2 t garam masala
1 oz can tomato paste
1 14 oz can coconut milk
salt to taste
(1 c plain yogurt)

Directions:
  1. Butter sides of crockpot. (In retrospect, cooking spray would probably have been better.)
  2. Combine all ingredients, except yogurt, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
  3. In last 15 minutes of cooking, add yogurt. (I omitted this step and it was still very tasty but not very saucy.)
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment