I can't remember how I came across this recipe idea but its absolutely genius. Spaghetti threaded through hot dog bites, or in this case meatballs. Fresh sausage works too. I wonder if I can thread spaghetti through zucchini or mushrooms for a vegetarian version? I'd love to serve this for Halloween.
First time around, a hit for Mr A, who ate 4 and Miss J, who ate 1. Second time around, Miss J didn't enjoy any because Mr A gulped them down so that there weren't any left for her.
I paired these spaghetti monsters with marinara sauce and some veggies, kind of like a fun take on pasta primavera. Next time ill have to make more than 6 so the rest of the family can enjoy them, not just Mr A.
Adapted from Very Culinary
6 meat chunk/bites (hotdog, fresh sausage, and meatballs work well)
A serving of spaghetti, uncooked
1/4 c marinara sauce
1/2 c mixed veggies (I used carrots, zucchini, and baby spinach)
Parmesan cheese, optional
- Thread uncooked spaghetti through center of meat bites. Cook in boiling water, per pasta directions.
- Add carrots into water, about 7-8 minutes to go. Add zucchini 4-5 minutes to go.
- Rough chop baby spinach and place in colander.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Drain in colander. Spinach will wilt when the hot liquid is poured over it.
- Heat marinara sauce and add in spaghetti monsters and veggies. Add as much of the cooking liquid as needed to cost coat everything nicely.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.