Sunday, November 11, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

A few years ago, I picked up Paula Deen's autobiography from the library. It was an easy and interesting read. 3 things particularly stick in my head after reading it. 1) Paula has agoraphobia. 2) There was a time when she lived in a roach infested place. 3) She made this beef stroganoff recipe for one of her first big catering shindigs and hates it now.

Don't get me wrong. This Paula Deen recipe is a fantastic. It's so easy and the ingredients, so simple. I think it's because she made so much that day that now she can't stand it. Too much of a good thing.

But I'm not sick of this baby yet. I could eat it for days. And I have. Like 3 meals a day until it was gone. This is good stuff and it makes a lot. Today, I halved the recipe, but added extra mushrooms, and left out the sour cream because I didn't have any. I also used whole wheat rotini because Mr A is allergic to egg and whole wheat pasta is just a little healthier.

Beef Stroganoff

Adapted from Paula Deen 

Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
3/4 lb chuck steak, cut into thin strips
1/4 t salt
1/8 t garlic powder
1/8 t black pepper
1/8 t garlic, crushed
2 T Worchestire Sauce
1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/2 (10 3/4 oz) can beef broth
1/2 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of mushroom soup
3/4 lb whole wheat pasta

Optional:
1/2 c sour cream
1 c frozen peas

Directions:
  1. Cook pasta, drain.
  2. Heat a large skillet.  Add olive oil and onion.  Saute until slightly brown and translucent.
  3. Add steak strips.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder and cook until brown.
  4. Add beef broth, crushed garlic, and Worchestire sauce.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
  5. Add cream of mushroom and stir until well combined.  Add mushrooms.  Cook about 5 minutes, or until mushrooms have softened.
  6. Add sour cream if desired, pasta, and green peas.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment