Saturday, November 3, 2012

Crockpot Applesauce


I was inspired by my Foodie Penpals' box from Amy, of A Couple in the Kitchen. The cinnamon sticks she sent smelled divine and were begging to be paired with apples. I wanted something easy, not too sweet, and in the healthier side. Hello, crockpot applesauce!

I googled several different recipes (like this, this, and this). Since I intended to make this for my first graders, I wanted a recipe low in sugar and no cinnamon. In the end I threw Fuji, Gala, golden delicious, Granny Smith, and Cameo apples in the crockpot and cooked them in apple juice. I had a lonely half of a lime squeezed, to put apple pieces in to prevent browning. But then wouldn't you know it - I knocked it over in the sink and it was gone.

That's when I remembered my mom using salt water to prevent oxidation. Moms are the best, especially when she's right!

Crockpot Applesauce

Ingredients:
12-16 apples (use several varieties of apples), peeled, cored, and cut into chunks
3/4 c apple juice
Salt

Directions:
  1. Pour apple juice into the crockpot. Place peeled and cored apple chunks into crockpot.
  2. Cook on high for - at least 3.5 hours, or until apples are soft.
  3. Drain and reserve extra liquid.
  4. Mash with apples with potato masher, or blend for smoother texture.  Add reserved liquid to desired consistency.

Update: The applesauce seemed to get sweeter overnight. I think next time I'll try plain water instead of apple juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment