Fall and winter are comfort food seasons to me. Possibly the #1 comfort food is chicken soup. Now, there will always be a special place in my heart for the condensed soup in the red labeled can, but since reading their labels and realizing they put MSG in their soups, it makes me think twice about serving them to my family. It's odd that Swanson is also part of the Campbell's soup family, but contains no MSG.
Enter in my cheater's homemade chicken soup. Think, like a Rachael Ray 30-Minute Meal version of the real thing. Boneless chicken chunks browned, toss in some veggies, and a can of chicken broth. Serve with rice or pasta and you have a full, hearty meal. For days!
I might just go have some more right now.
1 lb boneless chicken
2 T olive oil
3 ribs celery
1 1b mushrooms
1/4 t garlic, chopped
1 14 oz can low sodium chicken broth
2 c water
1/4 t poultry seasoning
salt & pepper to taste
- Cut chicken, celery, carrots, and mushrooms into bite sized chunks.
- Heat a large soup pot. Add olive oil and coat bottom of the pan. Add chicken and brown.
- Add celery, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, poultry seasoning, and salt & pepper to taste. Scrape bottom of pot. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 12-15 min, or until veggies are tender.
- Adjust seasonings if desired.
- Serve with rice or pasta.