Monday, October 22, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies



Fall is here and pumpkins are all around. I've been seeing all sorts of pumpkin recipes (here, here, here, and here) lately.  Apparently, they are very healthy and nutritious and can be more than an extra paperweight or glowing face on my balcony.  So, when my co-worker posted this pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe from Cookie Madness, I bookmarked it and said to myself that I would bake them (which usually means that I never will but will spend lots of time wishing that I would).

However, this morning, I picked up a very delicious chocolate chip cookie from Specialty's, and after fending off Mr A from eating it, it disappeared into my husband's tummy.  I almost cried - that's how good that Specialty's cookie is!  So then, it was decided that I would need to bake my own cookies today and I would have Mr A's help in doing so.

Before I decided on using Cookie Madness' recipe, I scoped out many other recipes.  I came back to Cookie Madness because it uses just 1 egg and suggested using whole wheat flour.  In the end, these cookies have an odd orange-y color, have a slight pumpkin taste, and just taste a bit funky.  I'm not sure I will make them again, but Mr A likes them - but that's probably because he's had like 3 cookies in his life.  Yeah, these are good, but that's just the chocolate chips that make it good.

** OK, update.  I stuck my cookies in the fridge - I actually meant to freeze a bag, but whatever.  Now I've decided that I like these cookies after all.  In fact, I genuinely like them chilled and straight out of the refrigerator.  They're just like pumpkin chocolate chip mini muffins.  Yay!  Not a waste of time or chocolate chips after all.  hehe

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 large egg
1 scant cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour or white whole wheat flour (9 oz)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Beat pumpkin, egg, sugar, oil, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Make sure all the leavenings are dissolved (no lumps). Add the flour and stir just until it is mixed in, then stir in the chocolate chips.
  3. Using a very generously rounded tablespoon measure, drop onto parchment lined cookie sheets spacing about 2 inches apart (cookies shouldn’t spread much). Bake at 375º for 13 to 15 minutes.
  4. Remove from tray and let cool.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am going to take pumpkin chocolate chip cookies to my work potluck next week. :)

    ReplyDelete