Friday, October 26, 2012

Inari


It took going to Michi Sushi for me to try raw fish. I still don't go out of my way to eat nigiri or sashimi, but if it's a sushi roll that has spicy tuna, avocado, maybe some cream cheese, and sliced lemon on top, chances are, I'll try it.  Are sushi terms too confusing? Check out Japan-Guide to demystify.

Now I don't dare make spicy tuna at home, but making maki rolls or inari is totally feasible and easy. Authentic? Not a chance! Yummy? Yes!  You just have to have the right ingredients and one of the main ingredients in inari sushi is the dried tofu pouches.

I had some time to kill before picking Mr A up from school, so I stopped at the nearby Chinese market.  The market near my house doesn't carry inari any more, so when I saw them at this one, I picked up 2 cans.  Inari is also sold in the refrigerated section, but these are the ones that my mom always uses, so that's the one I got too.

The other main ingredient in inari sushi is rice, preferably a shorter grain rice.  I think there is actually a "sushi rice", but I just used the rice that I have, which is a Jasmine rice, a longer grain rice.  The longer grains don't stick together as much as the shorter grains, but all in all, still tasty.  Adding rice wine vinegar to the rice, salt, sugar, sesame seeds, and other flavorings are good too, just depends on what you like.



Inari

Ingredients:
Rice, cooked
Inari pouches

Optional:
Rice wine vinegar
Salt
Sugar
Garlic powder
Sesame seeds

Directions:
  1. Stuff inari pouches with about a tablespoon of warm of room temperature rice.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment